[IntelMQ-dev] config format (Is: IEP01: IntelMQ Configuration Handling)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Dec 18 18:45:28 CET 2020

Hi Filip,

thanks for the discussion, I'll answer you and Aaron in one go:

Am Dienstag 15 Dezember 2020 19:43:25 schrieb Filip Pokorny:
> It doesn't improve GUI approach via Manager, but it doesn't break it or
> remove functionality either.

I think it would in a subtle way.
(My aim is to point that way out first, not to recommend a decision in one or
the other way.)

Usually an out-of-band comment has interesting info
(otherwise it would be senseless)
and the info is related to the values nearby.

So if the gui (editor) changes the value and cannot see the out-of-band
comment, but preserves it, the comment will not match the value anymore
and that the comment will be potentially broken. So one system will
be the leading system unless all comments are in-band.

Am Dienstag 15 Dezember 2020 17:25:21 schrieb L. Aaron Kaplan:
> But in the past, the very long JSON (no comments) format has been,
> well..  a bit cumbersome.

Optional in-band comments could be introduced.
The default formatting could be made human readable and compact.

Otherwise the length maybe a problem of putting to much into one file?

> How do other projects do their config language
> for large and complex configs?

I guess there is no silver bullet, each product will look at its requirements
and use cases. Some put "config" data not into a "language", but consider it
internal state that is managed by frontends.

Best Regards,
Bernhard