[IntelMQ-dev] config format (Is: IEP01: IntelMQ Configuration Handling)

Birger Schacht schacht at cert.at
Tue Dec 22 09:02:50 CET 2020

Hi everyone,

thanks a lot for the input on the proposal, its really great such
valuable feedback! And I think its a good sign that at least until now
the format of the configuration file seems to be the most controversial
part of the proposal ;)

I must admit I didn't really think about having access to the comments
in the manager, but its a good point and I can see the value in that. I
guess that comments being part of the data itself would be a solution
that works for all the formats we listed, isn't it?
We could simply introduce a "-comment" suffix that would work for every
key. What I'm not sure about right now is how the respective Python
libraries handle the ordering of keys. As Bernhard mentioned, the
comment should be nearby the value it refers to. I guess the most common
ordering would be alphabetical, so if we add a "-comment" suffix the
comment would be listed below the value. We just have to make sure
comment and value are kept together when the file is updated
programmatically.

One other thing that might be relevant: I think the manager should not
have to deal with the file-format IntelMQ uses internally. I think the
communication between API and intelmq-manager should still use JSON, and
the conversion should be done by the API, but I don't think that would
be a problem.

cheers,
Birger