[Ach] Listing uncovered Software

Sebastian sebix at sebix.at
Thu Feb 26 12:14:58 CET 2015

Hi,
> I'm not sure how we'd decide what gets listed in "these are hopeless" as
> opposed to just not listed at all, though.  Should we list the
> "hopeless" items by protocol or by implementation?  Should the threshold
> be some sort of userbase size?  there are surely thousands of
> network-facing applications out there that might legitimately be called
> "hopeless".  Is network-facing the right cutoff?  gpg is arguably not a
> network-facing application, for example.
To cite the scope in 1.4:

    In this guide, we restricted ourselves to:
    • Internet-facing services
    • Commonly used services
    • Devices which are used in business environments (this specifically
excludes XBoxes, Playsta-
    tions and similar consumer devices)

It's hard to draw a line on the user size or the environment.
Network-facing is a very good argument that's also unambigous,
nevertheless we have OTR and GPG in this guide. In my opinion these are
totally wrong there, we only create expectations that this guide will or
should include recommendations for users and critics can use this to
show the uselessness of the guide. Software that is clearly written for
end users, like GPG and OTR should get a place in a separate guide
'Applied Crypto Hardening for end users', but first let us finish this one.

I would focus on software that we would like to have included here. We
have Charybdis as only IRC-Server, are there any others?.
We have nothing on DNSSEC or DNSCurve (has been discussed here on the
list in 2014-02, one year ago [1]) and most agreed for including it.
What about DANE? It has also been mentioned in this thread, but with no
conclusion.

Sebastian

[1]: http://lists.cert.at/pipermail/ach/2014-February/001028.html

- --
python programming - mail server - photo - video - https://sebix.at
To verify my cryptographic signature or send me encrypted mails, get my
key at https://sebix.at/DC9B463B.asc or with gpg --keyserver
keys.gnupg.net --recv-key DC9B463B