[Ach] POP3S on Outlook 2007 not supported

Hanno Böck hanno at hboeck.de
Mon Feb 17 18:54:47 CET 2014

On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 15:52:13 +0000
Dan Benton <dan at dogsbodytechnology.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately a couple of our customers complained as it stopped
> their email working.  They are using old clients.  I am unsure of
> your policy on old clients but as you wanted "simple, copy &
> paste-able" settings I figure that this stops that setup.

I've been using ssl-only-settings since 2004 on our mail servers and I
can tell you there are zero mainstream mail clients that don't support
any kind of ssl. Since a very long time.
The only things we ever ran into not supporting our setups were really
weird pieces of software. None of then normal mail clients, it's more
the "embedded device that can use smtp to send a mail" kind of software.

The problem you're probably facing is that up until recently, many mail
clients didn't enable ssl per default. We managed to instruct all our
customers with all mail clients over the years to enable ssl.

> The client is using Outlook 2007 which I believe is supported by
> Microsoft until 11 April 2017 so I am sure there are a fair number of
> users.

Wrong. Outlook 2007 supports SSL. Here's a doc:
https://support.tigertech.net/outlook-2007-ssl

> Another client is using Entourage on a Mac.

I don't know Entourage, but a quick google search turns up this:
http://www.4securemail.com/mailconfig/mac-entourage-pop.php
So I think it also supports SSL.

Sadly, very often the problem with crypto is that people keep telling
"there are clients that don't support X" based on improper info, so I
want to make it clear again: Problems with non-ssl-speaking mail
software are really really rare. It's a matter of the right
documentation how to enable it.

One more point: "Deutsche Telekom", which is the no 1 provider in
Germany recently switched to ssl-only-email. They have a lot of
non-techie-customers. Probably more than anyone else in Germany. If
they can do that it can't be too much of an issue.

cu,
--
Hanno Böck
http://hboeck.de/