[IntelMQ-users] [IntelMQ] Question about harmonization.conf

Mika Silander mika.silander at csc.fi
Fri Dec 17 15:17:36 CET 2021

Hi Jonathan.

A report is a JSON document that is emitted by a collector bot. This document contains fields listed in the "report" section of harmonization.conf. Packed inside the report there is information about 1-N security events. Once the collector has the report ready, it sends it to a parser bot. The parser bot then splits the report document into events. An event is a JSON document describing a single security event. The fields in an event are listed in the "event" section of harmonization.conf. After the split, the parser bot sends the events one by one to the next configured expert bot in the bot chain. Eventually, the last expert bot in the chain passes the event to an output bot. The output bots could be considered as the components that provide the "reporting capability" you mention as they typically forward/store the processed event into a system outside of intelmq.

Harmonized fields are in other words, "standardised" over all reports and events intelmq processes because there are rules as to what values they are allowed to contain. Beyond these we have many non-harmonised fields that may contain (almost) arbitrary values.
These non-harmonised fields are typically named "extra.*" describing the event of the corresponding security feed in more detail. Basically, these contain data that is specific to feeds, not data common to all feeds and thus not "harmonizable".

I'll stop here in the hope the above helps. More seasoned developers may continue from hereon (and correct me along the way if necessary).

Br, Mika