[Intelmq-users] New Bots Development Workflow

Sebastian Wagner wagner at cert.at
Thu Jan 18 11:44:34 CET 2018

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, I was quite busy on that day and then forgot it.

On 01/10/2018 11:18 AM, Leandro Velasco wrote:
> 1- According to the documentation the best way to proceed is to clone
> the repo and install intelmq via “pip3 install -e .”. The issue here
> is that it needs to be done from root, otherwise the install fails.
> However once it is installed the user intelmq cannot see the intelmq
> installation (pip3 list) since it is only installed for root.
So the files are not world-readable? Set the files to be world-readable
using chmod -R a+r [directory]
> 2- If I Install from pip3 directly (not using a local repo) intelmq
> works just fine but then, new bot creation fails since according to
> the documentation new bots needs to be generated reinstalling intelmq.
> Trying to manually generate the binaries for the bots is not
> recommended according to previous emails (in the archive).
In that case you'd need to add the files for the bit to the sitelib and
binary directories manually. When using the manager, overwrite the BOTS
file too.
Actually I'd like to have a a possibility to create python packages that
only contain single bots. That needs some small adapations and then
intelmq would be more modular. See e.g.
https://github.com/certtools/intelmq/issues/552
> 3- Using virtual env allowed me to install intelmq as recommended for
> developers (“pip3 install -e .”.) and new bots are generated
> appropriately . However, some issues appear  with the pipeline
> connection and nowhere in the documentation it is suggested.
When using virtualenvs you'd need to at least adapt PATH to include the
bin directory of your virtualenv. Otherwise the executable can't be
found. But I never tried this method actually.
> My question then is, what is the recommended and verified way of
> implementing new bots for intelmq? Starting from the installation of
> intelmq to testing the new bots.
Use git install [-e] .
When using -e, make sure the files can be read.

Sebastian

--
// Sebastian Wagner <wagner at cert.at> - T: +43 1 5056416 7201
// CERT Austria - https://www.cert.at/