[Intelmq-users] New Bots Development Workflow

Leandro Velasco Leandro.Velasco at dearbytes.nl
Wed Jan 10 11:18:06 CET 2018

Hello everybody,

I have not much experience with intelmq nor python packages managments so while while implementing a couple of new bots, I have experienced  the following issues:

1- According to the documentation the best way to proceed is to clone the repo and install intelmq via “pip3 install -e .”. The issue here is that it needs to be done from root, otherwise the install fails. However once it is installed the user intelmq cannot see the intelmq installation (pip3 list) since it is only installed for root.

2- If I Install from pip3 directly (not using a local repo) intelmq works just fine but then, new bot creation fails since according to the documentation new bots needs to be generated reinstalling intelmq. Trying to manually generate the binaries for the bots is not recommended according to previous emails (in the archive).

3- Using virtual env allowed me to install intelmq as recommended for developers (“pip3 install -e .”.) and new bots are generated appropriately . However, some issues appear  with the pipeline connection and nowhere in the documentation it is suggested.

My question then is, what is the recommended and verified way of implementing new bots for intelmq? Starting from the installation of intelmq to testing the new bots.

My environment:  VM with Ubuntu 16.04

Thanks in advance for your time!
Best regards,

Leandro Velasco