[IntelMQ-dev] Contributing and license

Sebastian Wagner wagner at cert.at
Fri Oct 29 16:53:09 CEST 2021

Dear Mika,

Thanks for your interest in contributing. After a multi-week absence of
mine I'll try to catch up on all the events that happened, including the
mailing list an contributions on GitHub.

I can only second what Bernhard said. AFAIK you can contribute new code
licensed as MIT, as it is compatible with AGPL 3.0 and can be
re-distributed as the latter, as long as you don't choose any weird
MIT-variant ;)
If you modify existing code, you have no other choice than accepting the
license of course. But you are obliged to publish any modifications
anyway if you do that, that's the soul of the AGPL.

On 10/21/21 12:17 PM, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
>> Are there licensing issues/incompatibilities? E.g.
>> my employer wants all our published code to be released under MIT (Expat).
> Anything that is compatible with "AGPL-3.0-or-later" is fine.
> SPDX-License-Identifier: MIT
> is fine in this regard.
>
> My additional recommendation is to use
>   https://reuse.software/spec/ 3.0 (the current one)
> to indicate the license and who is the rights holder.

Actually, all contributions must comply to the standard which is
automatically checked by a GitHub Action that we have in place.

Sebastian

--
// Sebastian Wagner <wagner at cert.at> - T: +43 676 898 298 7201
// CERT Austria - https://www.cert.at/