[Ach] Conversion to Markdown

Albert Krewinkel albert+crypto at zeitkraut.de
Sun Mar 13 22:59:09 CET 2016

A strong point for Markdown and ReST is that those formats can be read
by Pandoc[1], while AsciiDoc cannot.  Pandoc is a very flexible tool,
the filtering system could be used to keep the config files as they are.
Markdown has the added benefit of being both very popular and
standardized.  Besides, Sebastian seems to be using Pandoc already.

Just giving my 0.02€ as an interested outsider.

Cheers,
/Albert

[1]: http://pandoc.org/

Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> writes:

> I also played around with ReST a year ago.
> Results are quite good, and we would have bibliogrpahy and the
> possibility for custom stuff like the config files.
>
> Anyway, any three of these ways will take a long time to work out.
>
> Best
> 	-Tobias
>
> On 13.03.2016, at 21:57, Rainer Hoerbe <rainer at hoerbe.at> wrote:
>
>> asciidoc is similar to markdown, but powerful enough to do real publishing
>> work. References do work. Github does render single file asciidoc documents
>> on the fly, like markdown.
>>
>> An example specification done with the asciidoc toolchain is this:
>> https://github.com/KantaraInitiative/SAMLprofiles/tree/master/docs/A%20WebSSO%20Implementation
>> The resulting document looks like this:
>> https://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://github.com/KantaraInitiative/SAMLprofiles/blob/master/rendered/WebSSOeGovProfile.html
>>
>> There are several toolchains available, even a GUI-Editor with ASCIIDOCFX.
>>
>> - Rainer
>>
>>> Am 13.03.2016 um 21:43 schrieb Sebastian <sebix at sebix.at>:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I started to convert the project to markdown this weekend. I retained
>>> the current structure, so all .tex in use have been renamed to .md. I
>>> deleted the .tex wherever I did a basic conversion, even if parts of it
>>> are broken. All remaining .tex-files are currently not used.
>>>
>>> Biggest issues currently:
>>> - configs from files are not supported now
>>> - not all references (internal and bibliography) do work
>>> - formatting is ugly, I only fixed the biggest issues yet.
>>>
>>> I'm working on branch markdown in my fork. Any help is appreciated.
>>> https://github.com/sebix/Applied-Crypto-Hardening/tree/markdown
>>>
>>> Here are the two compiled files:
>>> https://appliedcryptohardening.org/src/applied-crypto-hardening.html
>>> https://appliedcryptohardening.org/src/applied-crypto-hardening.pdf