[Ach] Assisting users of lists.cert.at to keep their privacy online

Aaron Zauner azet at azet.org
Sat Jun 25 13:29:06 CEST 2016

Hi Lurie,

First off: Please be aware that this is not a marketing mailing list.

> On 20 Jun 2016, at 21:22, Lurie Austinser <lurieaustin at outlook.com> wrote:
>
> Hello
> Firstly I wanted to say I appreciate that you help your users stay safe online. This is our goal at vpnMentor and we try to build a chain of sites that share this interest.
> I read your article here: lists.cert.at/pipermail/ach/2014-May/001377.html, where you mention prism-break.org/en
> We learned that many people don't really understand that a VPN is a great (often free) service that can help keep privacy online.
> I was wondering if you don't mind sharing (maybe in the same article) this post that explains exactly what a VPN is: https://www.vpnmentor.com/blog/what-is-a-vpn-and-do-you-need-one/

You list several VPN services that are neither secure nor provide real privacy to end-users as you suggest. These services do one thing and one thing only: they mask your real IP-address in order to access websites they may not be accessible otherwise.

All of these providers will happily provide insecure IPsec, L2TP and PPTP options to end-users if their platform does not have support for anything else.

I'm not going to waste too much time here, but readers be aware that these are *not* secure options recommended by our guide.