[Ach] OpenVPN and ACH

Aaron Zauner azet at azet.org
Thu Feb 19 16:56:05 CET 2015

Aaron Zauner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> L. Aaron Kaplan wrote:
>> No, I disagree. Not mentioning OpenVPN and the issues you are seeing
>> makes the guide *weaker* than having it in there with *clear* warnings.
>> Why? Because people will use OpenVPN *anyway*.
>> No matter if you remove the OpenVPN section or not.
>> Better to have a clear message on this.
>>

> Ok. So how does our guide exactly help people that use OpenVPN anyway?
> Nothing in this document improves the default security as shipped with
> OpenVPN.

E.g. the server configuration file in our repo currently ships with:

```

# Attention: it must fit in 256 bytes, so not the infamous CipherStringB!
tls-cipher
DHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA256:DHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA256:DHE-RSA-CAMELLIA256-SHA:DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA:DHE-RSA-CAMELLIA128-SHA:DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA:CAMELLIA256-SHA:AES256-SHA:CAMELLIA128-SHA:AES128-SHA
cipher AES-256-CBC
auth SHA384

# Enable compression on the VPN link.
# If you enable it here, you must also
# enable it in the client config file.
comp-lzo

```

Of course this cipherstring is bogus since it automatically falls back
to AES256-SHA. Compression on the VPN link layer is also enabled while
it is unclear how different compression algorithms interfere with TLS
encrypted traffic.

Upstream OpenVPN defaults and configurations shipped are identical.