[Ach] Recomendation on haveged in Bettercrypto chapter 3.3.3

Aaron Zauner azet at azet.org
Wed Apr 29 19:44:20 CEST 2015

Hi,

Ralf Schlatterbeck wrote:
> I'm talking about something that you can set up yourself, in my case
> OpenWRT based. But I don't think keeping the RNG state in some file
> solves the issue completely. At least in 90% of all cases I
> power-cycle the device to reboot and don't do a normal shutdown (because
> the device is hung or I'm directing someone per telephone to press a
> reset button). So normal shutdown is probably not the most-often used
> use-case :-)

Here I agree this is an issue. There's a nice paper on RNG
reset-security from S&P last year:
http://www.ieee-security.org/TC/SP2014/papers/Not-So-RandomNumbersinVirtualizedLinuxandtheWhirlwindRNG.pdf

Then again; how does haveged help in this case? Maybe I just completely
misunderstand how haveged works and is implemented.