[Ach] Fedora will implement "crypto policies"

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at redhat.com
Thu Mar 20 08:16:01 CET 2014

Hello Aaron,
 I have seen your project before, and this is a very nice first step.
However, despite that is the current best practice, hardening each and
every service is something risky; some services may be forgotten or some
different copy/paste settings may be present in some of them, or some
clients that run periodically and use SSL via a dependency may not even
be known to the administrator. That is why we will attempt to use
system-wide crypto settings shared by all available services.

One thing that I realized after implementing that is that setting the
ciphersuites isn't sufficient to ensure a global policy. For example
connecting to a server using the TLS ciphersuite DHE-RSA with AES will
fulfill that policy, but that does not take into account the actual
group used for DHE (and there exist misconfigured servers that send
512-bit groups).

On this and some other issues (e.g., restricting available curves, or
setting a policy for acceptable parameters in certificates) we work on.
Currently we modify gnutls and nss, and upstream openssl said is already
working on it [0].

We are certainly interested for collaboration, and you are more than
welcome to contribute to that effort (let me know in that case). It is
not really fedora/redhat-specific as we work with the upstream projects.
The Fedora-specific part are the scripts that convert the system policy
to individual library policies.

regards,
Nikos

[0]. http://marc.info/?l=openssl-dev&m=139474768815904&w=2