[Ach] news from the IETF

ianG iang at iang.org
Fri Mar 7 10:59:46 CET 2014

On 7/03/2014 09:43 am, aaron wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here is a short summary from the IETF and the STRINT workshop.
> (More infos coming later as soon as my laptop works again).
>
> I and Azet attended the STRINT workshop last FR and Saturday.
> https://www.w3.org/2014/strint/ The website lists a lot of
> interesting background reading and position papers.  Worth
> reading.
>
> Generally, there is a strong trend at the IETF to go towards the
> direction of opportunistic encryption by default.

Finally.  Only took the world wide conversion of the net into some
sort of big brother fantasy to get them to see the sense.

> Right now I am sitting in the UTA WG meeting
> (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-uta/) which overlaps
> a lot with the bettercrypto.org project.  In fact at the UTA WG
> there is the wish to explicit list the reasoning behind certain
> cipherstring choices that we made and document them as IETF I-D.
> Hannes Tschofernig agreed to help us in documenting this.
>
> My feeling is that we should do that since it a) gives the project
> more visibility and b) helps us as well in clarifying some choices
> by explicitly writing them down and c) this way our ideas/thoughts
> and background research might end up as input for new, strengthed
> default settings in many software products.

It's fine and helpful to write down the choices, but I would not put
that writing in the document.  Somewhere else, where people of arcane
interest and pernickity character can debate the 1536s and 1305s.

> And of course it is also nice to have an RFC I-D :)

Hmmm, could be that! :)

iang