[Ach] WiFi recommendations?

ianG iang at iang.org
Thu Jan 23 19:05:04 CET 2014

On 23/01/14 13:39 PM, Aaron Zauner wrote:

> Ortwin Glück wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The paper seems not to have any recommendations to setup wireless
>> access points (hostap, openwrtg come to mind). The basics like
>> PSK lengths, supported algorithms. Looking at the hostapd.conf
>> file, the number of options is extreme. And so is probably the
>> number of mistakes you can make.
>
> I think we should limit ourselves on online communication for now.
> So IMHO WiFi security is not in scope. Does anyone disagree?

I guess I would think of it as a priority question.  What is it that
is hurting us now?

I would say, poor use of online crypto is the biggest problem.  After
that comes node attacks.

Nobody (should) believes that wireless is a strong security system,
it's role is to stop neighbours stealing bandwidth an snooping email,
no more.  I don't think we can improve on that result by better
config, we can't get to the standard of Better Crypto with wireless
without a redesign.

So, I'd err on the side of out of scope.

iang