[Ach] StartSSL for Business Sysadmins

Axel Hübl axel.huebl at web.de
Sun Jan 12 14:55:12 CET 2014

Just a side note on StartSSL fur business sysadmins:

StartSSL is only free for *private*/personal certificates:

> This electronic mail message was created by StartCom's
> Administration Personnel:
>
> Thank you for requesting a digital certificate with us. However
> Class 1 certificates are not meant to be used for commercial
> activities or financial transactions according to our policy. For
> this purpose please consider upgrading to Class 2 or higher
> verification level. Please see https://www.startssl.com/?app=32
> about how to enroll. Thank you for your understanding.

So if you intend to secure your online shops, your company servers or
similar, you have to go for a Class 2 Cert which means you have to
prove/pay the identity check *once a year* for $59.90:
  https://www.startssl.com/?app=2

With that you can get unlimited Class 2 Certs again during that period.
If I am not totally mistaken, their Class 2 Certs are also valid for 2
or 3 years (instead of 1 year for their free class 1 certs).

Best,
Axel

P.S.: please use mail subjects ;)