[Ach] [cryptography] Better Crypto

Aaron Zauner azet at azet.org
Tue Jan 7 14:16:10 CET 2014

Hi, *

Axel Hübl wrote:
> I could not agree more.
>
> Crazy C get's totally against the scope of this document: providing
> _relyable_ crypto.
>
> If someone reads that document and goes for "see, they still list it as
> compatible, provide it!" the document lost it's main point.
I agree too. Sorry. But that's really not our issue to tackle. If we
want to provide a guide for _better_crypto_ we'll need to drop some
stuff that eventually breaks compatibility. I'm totally for discussing
ECDHE on top of DHE (although curve options as currently implemented in
libraries just suck) and SRP (which is a very good scheme in my opinion)
- but discussing EOL ciphers like 3DES is somewhat out of scope. After
all we want to prompt change in peoples mindset about legacy
installations, their security and what should be regarded as safe for
customers and users. Nobody has to follow this guide to the letter.

Aaron