[IntelMQ-users] Classification of malware itself in IntelMQ

Sebastian Wagner wagner at cert.at
Wed Feb 24 09:48:44 CET 2021

Dear Marius,

On 2/22/21 9:46 PM, Marius Urkis wrote:
> Could you give some real-life examples of incorrect usage? I think
> quite a lot of cases can be covered by infected-system when hash taken
> from infected device, or malware-distribution otherwise.
In IntelMQ most usages of "malware" were actually
"malware-distribution", e.g. websites spreading malware files. Some
other usages were infected-system.
For a full diff
https://github.com/certtools/intelmq/compare/650a450...2588a284e31582e6cbfa72aac483dd17198527ce
should give a good but very long overview.

> From other hand, RIST stands exclusively for Incident taxonomy and
> classification attributes helps only with Incident classification.
> However Incident management is not the only service/activity of
> CSIRTs, so if malicious code analysis is related not to the some
> incident, RSIT taxonomy would not help here, and probably such a case
> should be handled not as an incident?

Yes. The question is, how much do we want to support such use-cases in
IntelMQ. AFAIK the primary use-case of IntelMQ is incident handling, not
processing malware files/hashes. The RSIT does not give us the means to
classify malware, independent of which tool is used. But this does not
mean, that processing malware files/hashes is not possible or allowed
with IntelMQ. IMO it's totally legit to process that data with IntelMQ,
but it's not the the tool's primary intent. A quick view over IntelMQ's
bots and feeds shows, that only the two cases I mentioned in my first
mail are not related to incidents (the GitHub feed and FireEye).

best regards
Sebastian