[Ach] Lower the participation threshold: stop using latex

René Pfeiffer lynx at luchs.at
Tue Apr 25 22:46:24 CEST 2017

On Apr 25, 2017 at 1902 +0200, Johannes Burk appeared and said:
>> Beside the ideas already mentioned by some on this list (an explicit call
> for help/contributions and providing a guide about how to contribute) I
> want to propose a slightly more drastically step: Stop using latex and
> switch to a more intuitive and human readably language, making
> contributions as easy as editing a wiki page. But we have not to stop
> using latex completely nor abandon the PDF as the final product. It’s
> just necessary to rethink the build chain. Using markdown as the language
> to write the document (or maybe just as an option for contributions) and
> a converter like pandoc would allow to easily contribute but also using
> latex for advanced formatting and get a PDF as the final product.

Personally I don't see the problem with LaTeX, but I haven't inspected the
contributions yet. AFAIK the discussion was about content. Most of the
contributions can be supplied in markdown or plaintext. The content just
has to be fitted into the document or whatever master format we like to
use.

> I saw there was already a thread about conversion to markdown/RST a year
> ago (march 2016). But the discussion ended without any final conclusions.

Me too, but since I favour LaTeX I didn't chime in.

Cheers,
René,
also lurking, but piling up contribution due to being sysadmin.

--
  )\._.,--....,'``.  fL  Let GNU/Linux work for you while you take a nap.
 /,   _.. \   _\  (`._ ,. R. Pfeiffer <lynx at luchs.at> + http://web.luchs.at/