[Ach] Cipher List Notes

Alexander Wuerstlein arw at cs.fau.de
Mon Nov 14 15:51:49 CET 2016

On 2016-11-14T15:16, femir at qweepi.de <femir at qweepi.de> wrote:
> Am 12.11.2016 um 03:32 schrieb Alice Wonder:
> > For my equivalent of your Configuration A list, on servers where
> > sensitive information is transferred to and from the server, I do limit
> > it to TLS 1.2 and I also only use ECDSA certificates, I haven't yet come
> > across a user with a client that can do TLS 1.2 that doesn't handle
> > ECDSA.
>
> Why use (EC)DSA?
> DSA based cripto is the first thing that I would deactivate. Many other
> guides recommend disableing DSA as well.
> Compared to RSA, DSA has some attack vectors that are just unneccessary:
>
> For many operations DSA needs randomness, but in contrast to RSA,
> repeated use of the same random data or otherwise compromised random
> number generators will not only compromise the security of the specific
> operation. If the random numbers are not the best quality, then it is
> possible to compromise YOUR PRIVATE KEY.
>
> Danial Bernstein about DSA and other broken standards:
> https://blog.cr.yp.to/20140411-nist.html

Yes, however, there is an easily available (and hopefully widely used)
mitigation for the randomness problem: the 'random' number can be
deterministically derived from the secret key and the message (e.g. by
hashing), eliminating the need for secure randomness. The number just
needs to be un-guessable for the attacker and unlikely to be reused with
a different message.

But generally I'm suspicious of the current 'elliptic curves == good'
automatism applied to everything in the field. However, this is somewhat
independent of DSA.

Ciao,

Alexander Wuerstlein.