[Ach] New SSL config with Entourage email client

Hanno Böck hanno at hboeck.de
Wed Nov 26 21:18:06 CET 2014

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 18:10:11 +0000
Dan Benton <dan at dogsbodytechnology.com> wrote:

> We obviously left the trickiest for last as we now have one customer
> that can't access their email.  This customer is using the Entourage
> email client on MacOS.
>
> Server - Scientific Linux (RedHat) 6.6 & Dovecot 2.2.15
> Client - MacOS 10.6.8 && Entourage v12.3.6

I never heared Entourage before, but wikipedia tells me:
"The last version was Entourage: Mac 2008, part of Microsoft Office
2008 for Mac, released on January 15, 2008. Entourage was replaced by
Outlook for Macintosh"

If you use unsupported, very old software don't expect it to work.

That said: It's just a guess, but afaik the bettercrypto
recommendations disable triple-des (3DES) cipher suites. Old Windows
versions before AES-support came in can be supported by adding 3DES.
And it's not really a problem. 3DES is slow and old, but it is robust,
no known serious security issues.

--
Hanno Böck
http://hboeck.de/