[Ach] IDEA depreciated in TLS1.3

ianG iang at iang.org
Mon May 5 14:19:42 CEST 2014

On 5/05/2014 13:05 pm, Aaron Zauner wrote:
> ianG wrote:
>> I think, as we know that everyone has to have AES, we might as well
>> deprecate everything else.  Get the message out there, it will be a
>> while, but eventually it will filter out to the WGs and the distros that
>> they should start cutting away the deadwood.
>
> I agree in principle but am looking forward to new AEAD ciphers that may
> be added to TLS (ChaCha20 and the likes).

Oh absolutely.  AES is what we standardized on last decade.  Next decade
will be the switch to CAESAR.  For the moment, the ChaCha20/Poly1305
suites are interims, which have suddenly sprung to consensus in the last
year.

> As such we should not only
> rely on a single cipher. I've already tried a couple of times to get
> camellia out of our suggestion, it was vetoed, with good arguments as well.

There will always be some reasons to keep some legacy stuff around,
"just in case."

Look at XP.  It's not in security support, but it's still holding us up.
 Because of XP there are requirement knocking down the line to keep old
stuff going.

MS took the good, brave decision to take it off security support, even
tho there were millions of sites.  We have to share the pain that the
bleeding edge suffers.  That means dropping support, and deprecating,
even when there are some losers.

iang