[IntelMQ-users] Taxii collector bot

Chris Horsley chris.horsley at csirtfoundry.com
Tue Jan 18 08:03:29 CET 2022

A few thoughts on how you might start to tackle STIX having done a bit of this now:

* First choice would be whether to go for STIX 1.2, STIX 2.1, or both. STIX 2.1 is the standard which will grow more into the future, but it's relatively new and there's still certainly STIX 1.2 feeds around.

* There are quite a few entity types (e.g. TTPs, campaigns) in STIX which are more designed for inter-entity relationship glue, which might need some careful thought to represent via reference IDs in IntelMQ events.

* Naturally there's just the initial work of mapping the STIX taxonomy to the IntelMQ taxonomy and managing any differences.

I'd suggest making the scope of a STIX bot limited to begin with rather than trying to implement the entire STIX spec. STIX 2.1 would be the default choice as the more future-proof standard, and I'd just focus on Indicators to start as the STIX entity type which would most easily map to IntelMQ events (e.g. extracting malware hashes, phishing URLs and other observables).

Best regards,

Chris