[Intelmq-users] IntelMQ and Python 3.5

Birger Schacht schacht at cert.at
Fri Dec 4 14:09:21 CET 2020

Dear community,

TLDR: We are thinking about dropping support for Python 3.5 with the
release of IntelMQ 2.3.

At the moment IntelMQ supports Python back to and including Python 3.5,
which was released in 2015. The last version of Python 3.5 was 3.5.10
which was released this September and with that Python 3.5 has reached
end-of-life. The two Distributions that ship Python 3.5 only are Debian
9 and Ubuntu 16.04.
Debian 9 (Stretch) was superseded by Debian 10 (Buster) this summer, but
does still get LTS support until June 2022. Support for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
(Xenial Xerus) will end in April 2021.

Therefore dropping support for Python 3.5 would mean that we would also
have to drop support for Debian 9 and Ubuntu 16.04.
The upside would not only be cleaner code through improvements in Python
3.6 but we could also update the packaging code. Furthermore, there
might be IntelMQ dependencies that drop support for Python 3.5 now that
it is EOL which would limit the functionality of IntelMQ.

So the basic question is, are there still (m)any setups out there that
require IntelMQ to run with Python 3.5?

cheers,
Birger

--