[IntelMQ-dev] timescale db is non-free (was: Stats in Intelmq?)

L. Aaron Kaplan aaron at lo-res.org
Tue Nov 28 10:52:26 CET 2023

> On 28.11.2023, at 10:42, Homma, L.J. (Luitzen) <l.j.homma at minezk.nl> wrote:
>
> Thank you for all replies :)
> Thank you, Aron, for pointing to the stats portal. I agree with your note. Based on all replies, it's interesting to hear how others are trying to solve the stats/monitoring questions.
> It's also a good thing to address that there is a difference between stats and monitoring.
> However, I think there is also quite some overlap because you probably want to set up monitoring/alerting based on your stats. Shiny management reports are indeed a different thing :)

Actually, that's a really good point I had not thought about.
If your stats on incidents which go through intelmq go through the roof at some point (per classification.identifier or classificiat.type, etc.) then you might want to alert.
Good point!

> Monitoring and dashboarding itself probably should not be part of the IntelMQ core.
Totally agree.
If we keep the focus of intelmq on the hard part of data collection, filtering, enriching and ingestion into some DB, some ELK or Splunk or whatever, then we already solve a hard problem.
If we diversify too much, we risk doing everything but nothing really well.

> However, I think it would be very useful to share monitoring/alerting options in the documentation or share code (bots) to feed your stats/reporting/dashboarding solution. Everyone is free to make its own configuration setup that fits its needs but could use a default bot to feed his reporting engine.

True, like HOWTOs or examples?

> Our goal for stats in more detail:
> - To get technical insights into what is coming into the pipeline. So, event counts per bot, but also more granulated numbers for each report/feed.
> - Get insights on how many events are deduped.
> - We have a lot of filter bots in our environment. We want stats on the event filter ins/outs.
> - We have multiple output bots where we also want stats.
> - In the end, you want a kind of CRC paper trail check to ensure your line is in control and not "losing" any data on the way in the journey through the data pipeline(s) :)
>
> @Aron, we will use your repo for inspiration and will probably develop our stats needs further in 2024. If it's relevant to the community, we'll see if we can share it.

That would be lovely. Note that mine is already a bit outdated, but - yes, as you said, it might give you inspirations.

Best,
Aaron.