[IntelMQ-dev] timescale db is non-free (was: Stats in Intelmq?)

L. Aaron Kaplan aaron at lo-res.org
Tue Nov 28 10:30:45 CET 2023

Good idea.

But please note that timescaleDB is
 - optional (plain postgresql with the proper indices usually does the job just as well)
 - actually timescaledb is just a few extensions on top of plain postgresql.

So, I don't really see a lock-in here.

But a notice would be great.
Maybe as part of any PR which includes more timescaledb support...

My 2 cents of experience with working with timescaledb.

PS: back then at CERT.at we used timescaledb initially for https://github.com/certtools/stats-portal  already and it is just great for its purpose: to do very fast SELECT ... GROUP BY .. WHERE timestamp in INTERVAL(...)   queries.
That's where it shines (and coincidentally that's often what you need for data-cubes/statistics on large DBs).
But you can achieve similar functionality also with plain postgresql or other databases.
I see that as a functionality which may be replaced by other similar systems - if needed (and that depends only
on the size of your eventDB).