[IntelMQ-dev] RFC on IEP007: Running IntelMQ as Python Library

Sebix sebix at sebix.at
Tue Apr 25 12:05:50 CEST 2023

Dear Mika,

On 4/25/23 11:28 AM, Mika Silander wrote:
>  Reading through the IEP in question, I thought I would find reasons or motivations as to why having a library is desired. It's possible I've missed discussions or mails and the reasons have been discussed/documented elsewhere.
Thanks for the input, I'll try to find some references from the 3.0
discussions when we first discussed this feature request in more
details, or otherwise expand this section on my own.
>  If the implementation you choose for IEP is the API-breaking generator one

I think there was a misunderstanding: It is precisely the /question/ if
we also want to address this topic. It has its pros and cons, whereas
the biggest downside is the API-breaking part with all its implications.

You know that it was a long and bumpy road towards IntelMQ 3.0, and
accumulating multiple significant development steps in a short period
was challenging (OTOH had the - temporary - development capacity at that
time to make this leap). I'm fully aware that breaking changes can mean
a lot of trouble and I'm all for small, separated steps (hence this
IEP), which allow more straightforward discussion, review and
maintenance. When writing PoCs for this IEP, I found a similar area for
improvement in IntelMQ which could also be interesting to tackle. It is
not up to me to decide the direction of the IntelMQ roadmap but to the
/community/. Hence, I posed this question and asked for comments, and I
am very grateful that you are contributing so actively through code and
discussion.

best regards
Sebastian

--

Institute for Common Good Technology
gemeinnütziger Kulturverein - nonprofit cultural society