[IntelMQ-dev] Preventing lost events when stopping intelmq

Mika Silander mika.silander at csc.fi
Mon Jul 26 09:18:03 CEST 2021

Hi Sebastian, all,

 Back from short holidays now, thanks for the answer. The reason to my question was not actually related to intelmq but to the ticketing system we have behind intelmq. This ticketing system will end up having inconsistent information if intelmq is stopped in the midst of event processing and I'd like to minimize the likelihood of this happening. People familiar with this ticketing system would rightfully argue the system itself is nothing but an inconsistency, but that's another story.

 Continuing with the idea of using signals: would it be possible to implement a signal handling routine (for another signal than kill) that cleanly shuts down a bot if it is not processing an event? And if it is processing, set a flag so that once processing is finished, the bot will shutdown? Still, if I'm not mistaken, Linux doesn't guarantee the delivery of signals so even this approach isn't foolproof.

 One can envision other approaches to implement shutdown functionality but they all tend to violate the KISS principle.

Br, Mika