[IntelMQ-dev] Event rate limiting

Mika Silander mika.silander at csc.fi
Thu Jan 28 07:32:16 CET 2021

Hi,

 Maybe this is answered somewhere already but I wasn't able to find any hints and I've just recently started developing bots so here's one for the list:

 I'd need to limit the rate at which events are processed to avoid swamping a back end system with requests. Big bursts of events should remain in the inqueue of such a rate limiting bot, and then be forwarded at a configurable rate e.g. X events/minute. Afaik, by default, bots attempt to process all the events in their inqueue without delay. How should one go about to create such a bot? Is it safe to put the bot process (=operating system process) to sleep for N seconds from within the bot's process method and then proceed, can we do busy-looping (not nice!), or, some other solution?

Br, Mika