[Intelmq-dev] Classification of malware events

Thomas Hungenberg th at cert-bund.de
Thu Mar 15 16:43:45 CET 2018

On 12.03.2018 16:43, Sebastian Wagner wrote:
> On 2018-03-12 16:32, Thomas Hungenberg wrote:
>> I'd prefer using "infected system" as the classification type for
>> malware infections as this fits with the classification level of
>> other malicious code events.
>>
>> Then we would have:
>>
>> taxonomy	type			identifier
>> malicious code	infected system		<malware-name>
>> malicious code	c&c			<malware-name>
>> malicious code	dga domain		<malware-name>
>> malicious code	malware distribution	<malware-name>
>> malicious code	malware configuration	<malware-name>
>
> +1 Time to clean this chaos.

We could also use "malware infection" instead of "infected system"
and probably add a "malware" prefix to "c&c" and "dga domain" as well
to make these types more precise:

taxonomy	type			identifier
malicious code	malware infection	<malware-name>
malicious code	malware c&c		<malware-name>
malicious code	malware dga domain	<malware-name>
malicious code	malware distribution	<malware-name>
malicious code	malware configuration	<malware-name>

What do you think?

     - Thomas

CERT-Bund Incident Response & Malware Analysis Team