[Intelmq-dev] IntelMQ Data Harmonization (DHO) - malware.hash key (issue 732)

Pavel Kácha ph at cesnet.cz
Fri Jan 6 09:47:29 CET 2017

Hi,

   again, just speaking based on our experience - in a year or two there
will be another set of popular hashes, and you will probably start
considering adding another explicit keys (malware.hash.newone) - requiring
changing the harmonization in the process.
   We have also found out that types hashes of hashes, which are not in
standard format, but have their own intrinsic unextractable properties,
appear over the time.  This could validate adding its own "name", for
example bittorrent BTIH hash.
   We also thought that hash type is part of information, and thus should be
part of data field, not key name.
   So, we have just used one key, using solely URN namespace for adding new
hash types.

   (It is also necessary to say that one contents can be identified by more
hashes, so you may find out over time that just single scalar field may not
be enough. But I digress here. :) )

Cheers
-- Pavel