[Intelmq-dev] How to implement process contol (Re: Run modes + Systemd + Crontab)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Feb 3 09:00:21 CET 2017

Am Dienstag 31 Januar 2017 13:40:48 schrieb Sebastian Wagner:
> On 01/31/2017 01:25 PM, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > right now crontab seems already be used (at least recommended) if I
> > remember correctly to read in some data needed for some bots.
>
> That's optional tough.

The question for me always is: What fraction of typical intelmq
installation would need those function? I'd say a significant one.
Thus it should be a core functionality of intelmq.
(Of course some installations may chose to not use these intelmq
capabilities.)

> > # What are the target systems of intelmq? Where should it run?
>
> All operating systems we (the community) are interested in.
>
> > Is it GNU/Linux systems (which would be easiest),
> > GNU/Linux like systems including OpenBSD,
> > or systems like Mac OS X and MS Windows?
>
> I know that Debian and Ubuntu are used and thus intelmq is good tested
> on these systems. Other *nix OSs can be supported too if someone is
> willing to provide support for it. But OS X and Win are definitely out
> of scope for us currently. However, if someone wants to port intelmq to
> these platforms, feel free to do so.

We should state on our pages for development vision/goals that the current
IntelMQ Initiative only aims for GNU/Linux systems, especially Debian based.
More GNU/Linux like system can be supported if maintainers step up.

For our technical design this means that we can use methods that are available
on a typical GNU/Linux system or can be easily deployed on thus a system.

> > ** systemd is a tool very specific to operating systems with the kernel
> > Linux that also use systemd already. Making it a requirement would
> > exclude a number of other operating systems (or even GNU/Linux
> > distribution).
>
> As I said, that's not specific to systemd, together with @ondj I'd like
> to support supervisord too. You can also add SysV support if you want
> to, however I don't see any reason to do so currently.

I agree that we should build a mechanism for process management and for
scheduling time based that deals with dependencies and additionally
congestion control.

From my perspective it would be good design to chose one prefered method.

So far I have the feeling that the configuration should be internal to
intelmq, so it provides an "interface" to the bots. And the configuration can
be placed close to the bot's code, e.g. the default directly in the code
itself.

As for how the scheduling it done, I guess that we'll probably need one
scheduling daemon for intelmq that will supervise the other processes.
Before selecting components that could help us with this (e.g. systemd, at,
cron, http://supervisord.org/, runit) we should collect a list of
requirements (wiki?, issue?)

Best Regards,
Bernhard