[Intelmq-dev] Packaging Strategy for Bots with dependencies

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Jun 30 17:55:37 CEST 2016

Am Mittwoch, 20. April 2016 11:55:59 schrieb L. Aaron Kaplan:
> > Aren't we running into the same issue as with the BOTS file? If
>
> The BOTS file is simply a template of which bots exist in general.
> It is mainly used for the intelmq-manager to display which ones could get
> selected. And which parameters they have.

In order to get this moving, I propose to tackle it in small steps.

What about implementing a solution for the contents of BOTS first?
We keep the logic of etc/defaults.conf and etc/runtime.conf for this step.
So no hiearchical configuration (for now) and then we take it from there.

Thinking about how to solve the BOTS file first:
a) (proposed by Dusting)  bots.d/ directory solution,
    means adding and removing filenames.
b) adding an initialisation function to each module which
    returns the necessary information
c) write a small packaging helper that adds/removes sections
    from BOTS

Some thoughts (being still new to the code base):
b) seems attractive to me, because it keeps information
    close to where it is maintainted. Its main drawback probably is
    that is the largest change. Are there other drawbacks?
c) has the drawback of requiring running code during (de)installation.
   And it does not add much over a).

Best,
Bernhard
--