[Intelmq-dev] Packaging Strategy for Bots with dependencies

Dustin Demuth dustin.demuth at intevation.de
Mon Apr 18 11:17:25 CEST 2016

Hello Folks,

Tomás, thank you for your input.
I'll describe my Ideas in more detail.

# Recent situation:
Right now the bots-directory looks like this:
 intelmq/bots/
  ./collectors/
  ./experts/
  ./outputs/
  ./parsers/
  ./BOTS

The file BOTS contains all data on bots available in the folders. Or enables
the replication of those with differents URLs.
It is not simple enough to add new bots to this file automagically. Removing
them is even harder.

# Idea:
When BOTS would be a directory looking like this:
 ./bots.d/
  ./collectors/
  ./experts/
  ./outputs/
  ./parsers/

It would be easier to maintain bots automatically.
Just copy a collector-bot-config-file into bots.d/collectors/ to add a new
collector. Removing them is also that easy.

Concerning your Questions:
Am Samstag 16 April 2016 17:28:32 schrieben Sie:

> Repositories:
> - how many?

*Everything* that requires dependencies that are not met by the "CORE
Application" (which needs to be defined), should be kept in a seperate
repository.
To facilitate development of new bots, clonable example-bots could be
provided.

> - description for each one
> - examples of which kind of code each one will have

Sorry, I don't get that.

> You mentioned some complexity regarding this changes. What kind of
> complexity do you see?

It's not one file anymore, you need to inspect several files and folders.

> collector.conf, parser.conf, expert.conf and output.conf are the default
> configurations for each type of bot which should be inherit for each type
> of bot. Example: phishtank parser will load all configs from parser.conf
> and if phishtank.parser.conf has some redefine parameters, this parameters
> should overwrite the default ones.

I think using inheritance is too complex. Let's keep it simple.

Until now, I did not think about runtime and default configuration of the
bots. This would also be reasonable.

BR
Dustin