[Intelmq-dev] Possible License Conflict for ASN-Lookup Bot

Thomas Hungenberg th at cert-bund.de
Fri Apr 15 16:23:34 CEST 2016

On 01.04.2016 14:41, L. Aaron Kaplan wrote:
> yes. We can replace it by a separate BGP table feed + a bot which queries this.
> See also the certtools/quagga-whois code.

I'm not a BGP/routing expert and I wonder what's the best way to deal with
cases like this:

We are currently using Team Cymru's IP to ASN mapping service for our reports.
Their service is afaik also based on BGP data and maps 31.7.176.0 to AS201011.

This is also what you get when querying riswhois.ripe.net:
route:        31.7.176.0/20
origin:       AS201011

However, there is a more specific /21 netblock registered with RIPE and
RIPE Whois returns a different ASN for this IP:

inetnum:        31.7.176.0 - 31.7.191.255
[...]
route:          31.7.176.0/21
origin:         AS33891

     - Thomas

CERT-Bund Incident Response & Malware Analysis Team