[CERT-daily] Tageszusammenfassung - Dienstag 15-09-2015

Daily end-of-shift report team at cert.at
Tue Sep 15 18:02:47 CEST 2015

Timeframe:   Montag 14-09-2015 18:00 − Dienstag 15-09-2015 18:00
Handler:     Alexander Riepl
Co-Handler:  n/a

*** Enabling QR codes in Internet Explorer, or a story of a cross-platform memory disclosure ***
Posted by Mateusz Jurczyk of Google Project ZeroIn the previous series of posts (parts #1 #2 #3 #4), we discussed the exploitation process of a serious 'blend' vulnerability (CVE-2015-0093 / CVE-2015-3052), which was special ..
http://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2015/09/enabling-qr-codes-in-internet-explorer.html

*** Mapping How Tor's Anonymity Network Spread Around the World ***
Germany has overtaken the US in total nodes, with France, the Netherlands, and Russia coming close behind.The post Mapping How Tor's Anonymity Network Spread Around the World appeared first on WIRED.
http://www.wired.com/2015/09/mapping-tors-anonymity-network-spread-around-world/

*** Large Malvertising Campaign Goes (Almost) Undetected ***
A very stealthy malvertising campaign has gone under everybodys noses and exposed a large amount of people to malware.
https://blog.malwarebytes.org/malvertising-2/2015/09/large-malvertising-campaign-goes-almost-undetected/

*** Tracking Bluetooth Skimmers in Mexico, Part II ***
I spent four days last week in Mexico, tracking the damage wrought by an organized crime ring that is bribing ATM technicians to place Bluetooth skimmers inside of cash machines in and around the tourist areas of Cancun. Today's piece chronicles the work of this gang in coastal regions farther south, following a trail of hacked ATMs from Playa Del Camen down to the ancient Mayan ruins in Tulum.
http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/09/tracking-bluetooth-skimmers-in-mexico-part-ii/

*** SYNful Knock - A Cisco router implant - Part I ***
Router implants, from any vendor in the enterprise space, have been largely believed to be theoretical in nature and especially in use. However, recent vendor advisories indicate that these have been seen in the wild. Mandiant can confirm the existence of at least 14 such router implants spread across four different countries:  Ukraine, Philippines, Mexico, and India.
https://www.fireeye.com/blog/threat-research/2015/09/synful_knock_-_acis.html

*** Hey, Oracle, whats in that VirtualBox security update? *crickets* ***
Debian team bit miffed about secretive vuln fixes in hypervisor software Its not just Microsoft keeping schtum on exactly whats inside its software updates.
www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/15/oracle_virtualbox_security_updates/

*** Von Flugzeugen bis Mars-Rovern: Lücke im Echtzeitbetriebssystem VxWorks ***
Das Echtzeitbetriebssystem VxWorks ist verwundbar und Angreifer können eigenen Code ausführen. Das System kommt in rund 1,5 Milliarden Geräten zum Einsatz - darunter auch im Mars-Rover Curiosity.
http://heise.de/-2812783

*** Another LinkedIn Sockpuppet ***
According to LinkedIn, 11 of my connections can introduce me to someone who 'knows' Anna. I'm not so sure about that. According to IMDb, Anna Sentina is really Anna Akana. Maybe LinkedIn should start charging to 'verify' recruiter ..
https://labsblog.f-secure.com/2015/09/15/another-linkedin-sockpuppet/

*** Our First Certificate Is Now Live ***
Let's Encrypt passed another major milestone by issuing our first certificate. You can see it in action here.
https://letsencrypt.org/2015/09/14/our-first-cert.html

*** KCI Attacks against TLS ***
Protection of Internet communication is crucial in todays hyperconnected world. The industry standard for encrypting private and sensitive communication data over potentially adversarial controlled network cables and radio signals is TLS. ESSE, the security team of RISE GmbH, discovered a ..
https://kcitls.org/

*** Hunting Asynchronous Vulnerabilities ***
As the video of my 44Con presentation Hunting Asynchronous Vulnerabilities probably wont be available for a while, I thought Id provide a mildly abridged (and less vendor-neutral) writeup of the core technical content. You can download the slides here.
http://blog.portswigger.net/2015/09/hunting-asynchronous-vulnerabilities.html

*** WordPress 4.3.1 Security and Maintenance Release ***
https://wordpress.org/news/2015/09/wordpress-4-3-1/

*** VB2015 last-minute papers announced ***
Ten talks covering hot research added to the VB2015 programme.There are just over two weeks to go until more than 400 security professionals descend on Prague for VB2015, the 25th Virus Bulletin International Conference.With the addition of ten last-minute papers, the conference programme is now almost complete: two keynotes (by Ross Anderson and Costin Raiu), seven Small Talks and 51 regular presentations mean the three conference days are packed with interesting talks and discussions on a
http://www.virusbtn.com/blog/2015/09_15.xml?rss

*** Finding Vulnerabilities in Core WordPress: A Bug Hunter�s Trilogy, Part III - Ultimatum ***
In this series of blog posts, Check Point vulnerability researcher Netanel Rubin tells a story in three acts - describing his long path of discovered flaws and vulnerabilities in core WordPress, leading him from a read-only 'Subscriber' user, through creating, editing and deleting posts, and all the way to performing SQL injection and persistent XSS attacks on 20% of the popular web.