[Ach] BetterCrypto guide - POSTFIX configuration mistake / missing parameter

Sebastian sebix at sebix.at
Sat Oct 15 10:48:30 CEST 2016

Hi,

On 10/14/2016 02:19 PM, Guillaume REMBERT wrote:
> So I would not qualify it as a bad/weird practice to use port 25 for
> sending mail,
But it is. The RFC states that 25 may be abused for submission because
of backwards compatibility. But we want to leave the past behind us, as
we do with broken crypto. Also note the last sentence from the RFC you
cited:

> A site MAY choose to use port 25 for message submission by designating some hosts to be MSAs and others to be MTAs.
A mixed setup with both MSA and MTA on Port 25 is not recommended/allowed.

> but as stated, then there should be reserved hosts for
> MTA and others for MSA (thus the problem of mixing configurations of TLS
> disappears).
>
> My references on allowed output ports might be too limited and
> it is true that for output TCP/25 port, in France, we have some FAI
> blocking it for botnets/SPAM fighting purposes.
Always depends on the provider.
> PS: I will discuss with OpenVAS team, so maybe they
> could decrease the security warning level of their TLS/SSL
> deprecated ciphers scan when it is linked to an SMTP/25 port?
See this thread:
https://lists.wald.intevation.org/pipermail/openvas-discuss/2016-August/009860.html
Continued in October:
https://lists.wald.intevation.org/pipermail/openvas-discuss/2016-October/010234.html
Seems they know about the issue and are planning to fix it. But it seems
it is planned to completely drop the check for old ciphers on
mailservers. The author of the linked mail is in now CC.
They have an invalid issuer for their certificate :/

Sebastian