[Ach] Postfix 2.9.6 (Wheezy) & tls Compression

Lewis G Rosenthal lgrosenthal at 2rosenthals.com
Sun Mar 6 20:22:29 CET 2016

On 03/06/16 09:52 am, micah wrote:
> Lewis G Rosenthal <lgrosenthal at 2rosenthals.com> writes:
>
>> Hi...

>>> Since we are on this subject, why is this NO_COMPRESSION option
>>> suggested? There is no rationale for why this setting is there.
>>>
>>> The only issue with compression that I am aware of is CRIME, which is
>>> irrelevant for SMTP.
>>>
>> According to the postfix docs:
>>
>>      Compression is CPU-intensive, and compression before encryption does not
>>      always improve security.
>>
>> For performance reasons alone, and the lack of evidence to support that it
>> would add better security, it is best left disabled.
> Sure... but these recommendations are not about performance, if they
> were I would expect other recommendations to also appear.
>
> I dont think the clause 'compression before encryption does not always
> improve security' means that compression should be disabled to improve
> security.

I don't disagree, but Aaron's point is well taken. The idea is that there is
no indication that compression makes things *safer* (better crypto), so in
the absence of such evidence, it should probably be disabled.

Now, as to the wording of the above from the postfix docs, I suspect that
again, the author chose to err on the side of caution, and I take the
meaning to be that there is simply no compelling reason (better security or
performance) to leave it enabled.

We'll see what comes of the current SHUTUP discussion.

--
Lewis
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLP, CLE, CWTS, EA