[Ach] DROWN Attack

Sebastian sebix at sebix.at
Tue Mar 1 21:27:04 CET 2016

Hi,

For previous versions, SSLv2 was also implicitly disabled, e.g. here on
debian wheezy:

$ postconf mail_version
mail_version = 2.9.6h
$ postconf -d | grep SSL
lmtp_tls_mandatory_protocols = !SSLv2
lmtp_tls_protocols = !SSLv2
smtp_tls_mandatory_protocols = !SSLv2
smtp_tls_protocols = !SSLv2
smtpd_tls_mandatory_protocols = !SSLv2

Also in the docs:
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_tls_mandatory_protocols
> The default value is "!SSLv2, !SSLv3" for Postfix releases after the
middle of 2015, "!SSLv2" for older releases.
According to the paper, it's also default for Exim.

However, we this is not (explicitly) part of our recommendations. We do
not rely on sane defaults, as they are so different and all platforms,
many maintainers have different opinions etc. But the defaults have been
improve in the last year. (Thanks to azet here!)

All in all, it's mostly a documentation issue.

Sebastian