[Ach] filippo on SSL SMTP encryption

Hanno Böck hanno at hboeck.de
Tue Mar 31 20:04:05 CEST 2015

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 16:25:46 +0100
Thomas Preissler <thomas at preissler.co.uk> wrote:

> Reading through that post about SMTP made me think, why not
> implementing HTST for SMTP? I understand this is probably not the
> best field of suggesting new standards here. And while we're at it,
> maybe use HPKP as well for SMTP.

There already is something like HPKP for generic TLS and it's even
older: tack.
It is not really clear why hpkp made it and tack not (though I'm happy
we have something at least). Rumors are it had more to do with politics
and less with technology (i.e. it was easier to push the http sec
working group to do something than the tls wg).

--
Hanno Böck
http://hboeck.de/

mail/jabber: hanno at hboeck.de