[Ach] opinions on letsencrypt.org?

L. Aaron Kaplan kaplan at cert.at
Tue Nov 25 11:09:59 CET 2014

Hi *,

A couple of days, I stumbled across https://letsencrypt.org/.  Somehow it highly reminded me of cacert.org.
On the other hand, they seem to be going further by automating SSL certificate creation, CSR signing etc. while doing less work on the WoT part of cacert.org.

Did someone here look into letsencrypt.org in more detail and could you share your impressions?
Could this be a cacert.org version 2.0? Or an startssl.com killer? [1]

More details on how it works: https://letsencrypt.org/getinvolved/, https://github.com/letsencrypt/acme-spec

My gut feeling tells me that DANE is probably a better tech.... but so was Betamax.
Curious about your feedback.

Best,
Aaron.

[1] BTW: my apologies for the still missing updated git.bettercrypto.org certificate! The reason is that startssl.com says they signed the CSR but I seem not to be able to download the .pem certificate. Something went wrong with most probably the SSL client certificate to authenticate me. Might have to switch to a different CA :(

---
// L. Aaron Kaplan <kaplan at cert.at> - T: +43 1 5056416 78
// CERT Austria - http://www.cert.at/
// Eine Initiative der nic.at GmbH - http://www.nic.at/