[Ach] choosing safe curves for elliptic-curve cryptography

Joe St Sauver joe at oregon.uoregon.edu
Mon May 12 16:53:30 CEST 2014

Hi,

Aaron commented:

#Reference to their project has been in our Paper since almost from the
#beginning (see theory sections - ECC).
#Discussion here on this list hasn't shifted to that topic for a whole
#though.

I actually did a talk on "Cryptographic Best Practices in the Post-Snowden
Era" just last week at the Educause Security Professionals 2014 meeting,
see http://pages.uoregon.edu/joe/crypto-bcp/crypto-bcp.pdf

After thinking about ECC for a bit, here are my observations/concerns:

-- Suite B crypto from the NSA uses elliptic curve, and specifies curve
   P-256 and curve P-384 for SECRET and TOP SECRET respectively. See
   https://www.cnss.gov/CNSS/issuances/Policies.cfm (CNSSP No 15,
   Use of Public Standards for the Secure Sharing of Information Among
   NSS," Released 10/01/2012)

-- Yet, http://safecurves.cr.yp.to/ unambiguously flags those curves as
   NOT safe; see "Security Dangers of the NIST Curves" at
   http://cr.yp.to/talks/2013.05.31/slides-dan+tanja-20130531-4x3.pdf
   for more. I'm not sure how to resolve this point with the preceding
   point.

-- If you want to do ECC for publicly trusted certs, you need them
   issued from an appropriate root. Currently Mozilla only appears to
   know about four (4) ECC roots, see
   http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/governance/policies/security-group/certs/included/

-- Whatever curve you want to use also needs to be supported by the
   crypto library you're using on your server, and by your browser;
   that may further constrain your options

-- Not surprisingly, ECC deployment to date appears to have been
   quite limited

-- All of the above said, some pretty smart folks are moving to
   ECC with alternative cuves, including the folks at Silent Cicle,
   and Google (as I discuss on slide 76 of my talk)

Hard to know what to say, given the preceding. I'd love to hear what
people think on this issue, however.

Regards,

Joe