[Ach] mass building and comparing OpenSSL

Aaron Zauner azet at azet.org
Tue May 6 02:09:04 CEST 2014

On 04/29/2014 04:43 AM, Aaron Zauner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've written a small tool to mass download, extract, verify and compile
> all versions of OpenSSL.
> https://github.com/azet/openssl-compare
>
> I will add a couple of tests in the next days for example:
>    *) compare a given Ciperstring with different versions
>    *) do per-file diffing of algorithms and implementations
>    *) ...
Puh. Ok.

I've added comparison of ciphersuites a few days ago.
It took me a couple of days to implement online negotiation comparison
of all installed OpenSSL version (still not perfect as not all versions
compare to each other with client and server). It was a mess as I spent
a day on figureing out how OpenSSL BIO (buffered IO) deals with
buffering when redirecting output to files, I've had to write a
LD_PRELOAD hack:
https://github.com/azet/openssl-compare/blob/master/lib/nagotiate

I've updated the README.md file accordingly
(https://github.com/azet/openssl-compare/blob/master/README.md).

I will improve the functionality over the next couple of days and might
add a benchmark comparison of all versions (built with the system
GCC/glibc toolchain as of now - check "using different compilers"
section in the README.md).

I hope this will prove useful to some.