[Ach] Improving Applied Crypto Hardening Draft

L. Aaron Kaplan kaplan at cert.at
Fri Jan 10 09:58:03 CET 2014

Hi,

thanks for your feedback.

On Jan 10, 2014, at 9:42 AM, Manuel Kraus <ach at lsd.is> wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> I'm not sure, if this is the right way to put suggestions.
> Forgive me, if I'm wrong!
>
> My suggestion:
>

> a) Page 55
>
> Key Exchange Table
>
> - What is EECDH? Maybe you mean ECDHE instead?
>
> - You should add DHE as well, since this is the important non-ec key exchange on AES ciphers, like EDH is for the 3DES ciphers

okay, will look into this. Seems like it's a bug.

> b) I don't know how close you are to the guys at cert.at, but there are improvements possible too:
>
> The website "http://lists.cert.at/cgi-bin/mailman/options/ach" isn't SSL by default!
>
> I missed that detail and put my Ach-list password in cleartext... uhhh..

Note that Bettercrypto.org is not a CERT.at project, although I work there.
Hope this clarified it :)  And yes, I agree with you.

> c) The list password is stored there in cleartext, I assume.

mailman

Yes, that setup needs to be improved. Thanks for the heads up.

a.

---
// L. Aaron Kaplan <kaplan at cert.at> - T: +43 1 5056416 78
// CERT Austria - http://www.cert.at/