[Ach] Bug/Ba in OpenSSL

Aaron Zauner azet at azet.org
Tue Jan 7 11:25:51 CET 2014

ianG wrote:

> I'm curious -- where is BSAFE used?  As far as I was aware, it was
> mostly shipped to USG. Is it in general shipping with in any user field?
>  You mention “high security” proprietary windows and java applications
> ... but are those things we should be worried about if we don't use
> them?  Any clue as to which they are?
As far as I know it's used in a lot of commercial windows software,
although I cannot name any particulars. If you google a bit you'll be
able to find enough.

> I need a pithy statement for this.
Whats a pithy statement? :)

>> Dan Kaminsky has proposed an universal RNG a couple of times now - but
>> again, this is not to be used in production.
>>
>> See section 2: 'Four Lines of Javascript that Can’t Possibly Work So
>> why do they?'
>> http://openwall.info/wiki/_media/people/solar/pocorgtfo01.pdf
>

> :)  So, that works as a quickie.  But it is also quite easy to attack,
> if that is the only thing going on.  RNGs are not easy on software
> engineering.
Yea I just found it to be interesting. Didn't took to long for someone
to find weaknesses: See the current issue -
http://openwall.info/wiki/_media/people/solar/pocorgtfo02.pdf
(BTW this pdf is also a bootable operating system AND zip file!)

Aaron