[Ach] chacha20/poly1305 coming...

ianG iang at iang.org
Fri Apr 25 23:25:34 CEST 2014

http://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/speeding-up-and-strengthening-https.html

Earlier this year, we deployed a new TLS cipher suite in Chrome that
operates three times faster than AES-GCM on devices that don’t have AES
hardware acceleration, including most Android phones, wearable devices
such as Google Glass and older computers. This improves user experience,
reducing latency and saving battery life by cutting down the amount of
time spent encrypting and decrypting data.

To make this happen, Adam Langley, Wan-Teh Chang, Ben Laurie and I began
implementing new algorithms -- ChaCha 20 for symmetric encryption and
Poly1305 for authentication -- in OpenSSL and NSS in March 2013. It was
a complex effort that required implementing a new abstraction layer in
OpenSSL in order to support the Authenticated Encryption with Associated
Data (AEAD) encryption mode properly. AEAD enables encryption and
authentication to happen concurrently, making it easier to use and
optimize than older, commonly-used modes such as CBC. Moreover, recent
attacks against RC4 and CBC also prompted us to make this change.