[Ach] on algorithmic agility

ianG iang at iang.org
Thu Nov 28 05:00:21 CET 2013

On 28/11/13 01:08 AM, Philipp Gühring wrote:

>>> we might want to be able to change to AES128 then. (algorithmic
>> agility)
>> "algorithmic agility" -- a gread word btw. +1 from me. In that sense
>> there
>> should be CAMELLIA in there too. Does anyone know about ARIA?
>
> Yes, from the agility viewpoint, I totally agree. But with those ciphers,
> I have not heard enough in public about them before, so I am not sure,
> whether they were studied extensively enough so that we should recommend
> them. If you know more about them and trust them, I don't mind adding them.

I do not recommend algorithmic agility.  It rarely if ever has led to
some sort of benefit out in userland, and it sets you up for disasters
of compatibility later on.

http://iang.org/ssl/h1_the_one_true_cipher_suite.html

If you stick to AES128 and AES256 then there is no reason to believe
there will be a problem.  It's not a popularity contest.

iang