[Ach] General agreement on cipher and hash strength and choice

robin.balean at a-trust.at robin.balean at a-trust.at
Mon Nov 25 16:11:46 CET 2013

As far as I know the hash algorithm in a TLS cipher suite is only used as a PRF and not as a hash.
In this context even MD5 is still considered secure.  SHA-1 and SHA-256 are certainly secure for this purpose and there is currently no need to go beyond this.

Of course in situations where it is used as a hash (such as in digital certificates) then anything SHA-256 should be the minimum used.

It is important to realise that the algorithms one choses be consistent.  An attacker will concentrate on the weakest one.  If you make one cipher in the suite stronger than the others you are just wasting computing time.  For example the following are rough equivalents between the symmetric and RSA asymmetric key sizes and the SHA hash functions:
80 bit symmetric   :  1024 bit  RSA  :  SHA-1
128 bit symmetric   :  3072 bit  RSA  :  SHA-256
256 bit symmetric   :  15360 bit  RSA  :  SHA-512

>From this I hope you can see that it is somewhat absurd to recommend AES256 for the symmetric cipher or SHA-512 as the hash as nobody in their right mind would ever consider using RSA 15360.

I'd recommend reading this very good paper from A. Lenstra on key lengths: http://infoscience.epfl.ch/record/164539/files/NPDF-32.pdf

Regards,
Robin Balean