[Ach] SSH improvements

Aaron Zauner azet at azet.org
Sun Nov 17 15:24:13 CET 2013

Hi,

On 17 Nov 2013, at 11:44, Tobias Millauer <is131015 at fhstp.ac.at> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> Here are some improvements to the SSH section. Do you agree with it?
>
> -- 8.3 SSH --
>
> # Use only Protocol 2
> Protocol 2
ACK.

> # Disable empty passwords
> PermitEmptyPasswords no
ACK.

> # Disable unused authentication methods
> UsePAM no
Why would you want to disable PAM? A lot of people use that. For example; At an institute i work for we use SSSD to authenticate via different active directories, this is done via PAM. Also People do script PAM stuff a lot.

> IgnoreRhosts yes
> RhostsRSAAuthentication no
> HostbasedAuthentication no
ACK.

> KerberosAuthentication no
> GSSAPIAuthentication no
> ChallengeResponseAuthentication no

No. I do not see any reason to disable Kerberos, GSSAPI or CRA, the last one is acutally used if you have something like hardware tokens (RSA SecurID or others) in place.

Thanks,