[Ach] DH theory section

Aaron Zauner azet at azet.org
Thu Dec 26 01:16:36 CET 2013

On 25 Dec 2013, at 19:03, christian mock <cm at coretec.at> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 25, 2013 at 06:32:06PM +0100, Aaron Zauner wrote:
>
>> Well. That is simply not true for the EC groups. See discussion on ECC.
>
> I'm OK with removing them.

Ok. I’ll remove them from the sentence.

> Nope. See the DH discussion which resulted in "use the IPSEC groups";
> so I whipped up those scripts to generate them from
> the numbers in the RFCs (actually, only the MODP ones), see
> tools/dhparams.
>
> 1) there is not much to maintain, unless a new RFC comes out with
> additional groups
>
> 2) True, but there's no other source for those as PEM files that I
> could find, so in the spirit of directly usable stuff I decided to
> generate the PEM files (cf tools/dhparams) to be put on the web site.
>
> 3) They have to be as perfect as other stuff we recommend -- what if
> someone finds a flaw in AES or RSA?

Hmmm.. I’m still unsure about this. But I just read your script - which is quite nice. I like the approach.
What about telling people about that script and the README for it to generate themselves?
The issue we had with DH groups was people generating some $RANDOM_DH_GROUP.

Does anybody else have input on the matter?

Thanks,